Welcome to the second edition of Dev Digest, designed to help you—the Office 365 developer—keep-up-to date with what’s new in Office 365 development.
It was great to hear that the first monthly digest was useful to you. Everyone here in Redmond is getting pumped to show you what we’ve been doing around the Office 365 developer platform at //Build and Ignite in a few weeks. We look forward to seeing you in our sessions, at our booth and online! Don’t forget to join the discussion on our Yammer network also.
In the future, keep an eye out for the Dev Digest on the third Thursday of every month.
Latest dev news
Check out the latest news from Office Blogs that is useful to know as an Office 365 developer. I’m particular excited with the improvements to the API Sandbox for the Office 365 APIs that now support C# samples. You can also vote on UserVoice for other languages to be supported. Engineering teams are watching very closely, so have your say!
- Cricket World Cup fever–analyzing the data with Power Query
- Download the new Salesforce App for Outlook
- Announcing the Office 2016 IT Pro and Developer Preview
The Microsoft Content Publishing team works hard producing documentation to help developers learn our platform. Here are the key new and updated articles for this month:
- Apps for Office
- Office 365 APIs
For more documentation check out Office developer documentation.
Our team is continually on the lookout for new code samples to help you jump start your own projects. Here is a list of the most recent new and updated samples from Microsoft as well as the community.
- Connect your iOS app to Office 365 and make your first API call
- Office 365 code snippets sample for iOS
- Connect your Android app to Office 365 and make your first API call
- Office 365 code snippets sample for Android
- Connect your Windows app to Office 365 and make your first API call
- Populate your Office 365 Developer Tenant with sample data
- Python/Django Sample using Office 365 Contacts API
- Python/Django Sample using Office 365 Mail API
- VCard import/export tool built with Ruby on Rails
- js Wrapper for Office 365 APIs Client Library
- Office 365 CORS Sample for jQuery
For more code samples check out the dev.office.com/code-samples.
Most recent Office 365 Dev podcasts
Since joining Microsoft last year, I have been running around campus interviewing people about various dev topics. If you would like to hear me interview someone on a particular topic, please submit your suggestions in the Yammer group and I’ll go hunt the relevant people down to interview.
Here are the most recent podcast interviews:
- Office 365 Office 365 Developer Podcast: Episode 042 on Exchange development futures with Venkat and Pretish
- Office 365 Developer Podcast: Episode 041 on the Property Inspector hero demo with Todd Baginski
- Office 365 Developer Podcast: Episode 040 on Xamarin development with James Montemagno
- Office 365 Developer Podcast: Episode 039 on the API Sandbox
For more podcasts check out dev.office.com/podcasts.
Patterns and practices
The Microsoft Patterns and Practices team is working hard to release samples to show the power of the App Model. Don’t forget to join the monthly community calls to hear the updates from them directly on Skype for Business.
Here are the latest updates from the team:
- Office 365 Developer Patterns and Practices (PnP) – April release details
- PnP March community call recording
- New training package created based on the PnP guidance at OfficeDevPnPTraining
- Numerous new videos in the PnP Channel 9 check at OfficeDevPnPVideos
- Numerous updates and new articles to PnP section in MSDN at OfficeDevPnPMSDN
Here are the latest guidance documents:
- CSOM releases and new capabilities—latest API changes GitHub
- Upload large files sample app for SharePoint (Updated) MSDN Github
- Branding and site provisioning solutions for SharePoint 2013 and SharePoint Online MSDN
- Use remote provisioning to brand SharePoint pages MSDN
- Update the branding of existing SharePoint sites and page regions MSDN
- Using Microsoft Azure WebJobs with Office 365 MSDN GitHub
- Autotagging sample app for SharePoint MSDN Github
Dev community blog posts
The Office 365 dev community has been busy this month. It is really exciting to see the effort people put in to their posts in their spare time to share with the community. Check out these articles from the Microsoft field, MVPs and more:
- Using TypeScript in a SharePoint 2013 App | IT Unity
- Populate your Office 365 Developer Tenant with sample data – Exchange dev blog – Site Home – MSDN Blogs
- “Just the Essentials” SharePoint Master Pages for SharePoint 2013 | Our SharePoint Experience
- Updated Fiddler OAuth Inspector – Kirk Evans Blog – Site Home – MSDN Blogs
- John Liu .NET – Blog – Azure Logic Apps: Build SharePoint Workflows by clicking buttons: a picture guide
- My time break for SharePoint: Add Custom Ribbon Button in Site Page to Popup all SharePoint Apps
- Chris O’Brien: Key skills and topics for today’s SharePoint/Office 365 developer
- Making seattle.master Responsive | Our SharePoint Experience
- The API Economy: Consuming Our Web API from a Single Page App – Kirk Evans Blog – Site Home – MSDN Blogs
- A Sample SharePoint App That Calls A Custom Web API – Kirk Evans Blog – Site Home – MSDN Blogs
- Ruby gem for Mail, Calendar, and Contacts APIs – Exchange dev blog – Site Home – MSDN Blogs
- Wictor Wilén – SharePoint MCA, MCSM, MCM and MVP – SharePoint Online and Azure AD Dynamic Groups
- Office 365 APIs and Node.js – Exchange dev blog – Site Home – MSDN Blogs
There are plenty of events on the horizon…don’t miss out on these great events with Office 365 content. Our team looks forward to meeting you all at these events, so don’t be shy come say hello at the Office 365 booth!
|April 29 – May 1||Build in San Francisco|
|May 4 – 8||Ignite in Chicago|
|May 18 – 21||Dev intersections|
|June 24 – 26||SPTechCon Dev Days|
|Aug 18 – 20||SharePoint Fest Seattle|
For more events check out dev.office.com/events.