The Microsoft Office 365 suite of cloud-based services and productivity tools helps you work and collaborate wherever you are, online or offline. Office 365 provides access to services like Microsoft Lync communications software and Microsoft SharePoint Online. It also includes the Microsoft Outlook messaging and collaboration client, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel spreadsheet software, the Microsoft PowerPoint presentation graphics program, and the Microsoft OneNote note-taking program. And you can use them on virtually any device.
Signing in to Office 365 and reading email
To sign in to your Office 365 account and to read your email by using a web browser:
- Go to http://outlook.office365.com, type your email address and password, optionally select the Keep me signed in check box, and then tap or click Sign in.
After you’ve been authenticated, Office 365 opens your Inbox in Microsoft Outlook Web App. This web-based version of Outlook gives you much of the same user experience as the desktop version of Outlook.
Working on files
Office 365 makes it easy to work on files from virtually any location or device, and to share your work with team members. To start working on files:
- Tap or click OneDrive on the global navigation bar.
- Tap or click new document, and then tap or click the appropriate item to create a new file, create a new folder, or upload a local file to Microsoft OneDrive for Business.
- You now can work on a file that’s in your OneDrive for Business account. You can use either of the following methods to edit the file:
- Use the web app, such as Microsoft Word Web App or Microsoft Excel Web App. This is the browser-based version of your familiar Office application.
- Use the full Office application. For a new file, tap or click OPEN IN APP on the ribbon. For an existing file, tap or click EDIT DOCUMENT, and then tap or click Edit in app.
Syncing and sharing files
To synchronize a file in OneDrive for Business for offline use:
- In OneDrive for Business, tap or click the SYNC button in the upper-right corner of the global navigation bar.
- Tap or click Sync Now.
- Follow the instructions in the wizard. The wizard creates a OneDrive for Business folder (OneDrive @ Microsoft) in File Explorer/Windows Explorer.
- Save your file to the OneDrive for Business folder on your computer. If you’re offline, as soon as you connect to the Internet, your files will be synced to OneDrive for Business.
You can also sync and share files on a SharePoint Online team site. A team site combines team collaboration with file management and project management features. You can even build a site to share with external users. For more information, see Work with sites.
Office 365 includes licenses for Office, including Lync. To install the latest version of Office:
- Sign in to Office 365 by using the computer where you want to install Office.
- In the upper-right corner of the page, tap or click Settings, tap or click Office 365 Settings, and then tap or click software.
- On the Office page, select a language, and then tap or click Install.
Tip: Office 365 also offers Office on Demand. This feature gives you temporary access to the Office desktop applications when you’re using a computer that doesn’t have the latest version of Office installed. For more information, see Use Office on Demand.
Using Office 365 on a mobile device
You can access email, instant messaging, documents, and other Office 365 services from your mobile phone or tablet. To set up your mobile device with Office 365:
- Tap Settings > Office 365 settings > software > phone & tablet.
- Under Phone or Tablet, select the appropriate supported device type.
- Follow the wizard’s instructions to complete any required installation and configuration.