This content elucidates the topic of Office 365 migration and of its various types. An individual can use the dashboard migration thing in the Exchange Administration Center to migrate mail content as well as the mailboxes from an on-premises messaging system to Office 365 organization.
The migration services of Office 365 are divided in two types: Service and Hybrid migrations.
Service migration comprises:
1. PST Migration: It is a new service mailbox and proffers IT PST migration options. This respective platform works with Outlook users who are independent with the mail system. This medium enables all the users to migrate, which can also be done on demand. The complete mailbox is migrated with all the additional contacts, tasks, and also avails new mailbox on the cloud with different profile and caching.
Various PST tool required are:
- Individual program to capture and migrate PST file
- Agent is a must on client computers for capturing and migrating
- Ability to import to archive or to mailbox
- It only requires a centralized PST capture console installation
2. IMAP Migration: This is a second type of migration in service list that supports a versatile range of email mediums (but contacts, journals, etc are not supported). Works with hosted and on-premises systems, which large number of source email systems. Interested users can their stuff into batches, wherein on-premises migration utility is not a must.
There are numerous IMAP requirements as well as limitation, which are highlighted below:
- On-premises migration not necessary
- Connectivity to IMAP ports (TCP/143/993)
- Users and their mailboxes must be provisioned priorly to migration (bulk provisioning, manual, CSV parser, etc.)
- SMTP domains are configured in Office 365 tenant
- One can gather user or setup admin credentials
- A CSV file with list of users must be prepared first ( with email address, user name)
- Max file must be 10 MB in size
3. Cutover Exchange Migration (CEM): This particular type does not require any computer tool on-premises this is respectively speedy for cutover migrations.
The features of this application migration are:
- Proffers speedy and risk-free migration service
- High-fidelity solution
- Suits large scale business, which requires full migration service at once
- Users are provisioned automatically
- Compatible with latest technology
- Works with on-premises
- Identity management in the cloud is available
The requirements of CEM are: Initiates 1000 mailboxes, anywhere service on the source system, executes SMTP domains in Office 365 tenant, migration account is done with Full Access or with Receive-As permissions.
CEM Account Provisioning: Migration generates users, mailboxes, contacts, and DLs and also migration enables replies to migrated messages
4. Staged Exchange Migrations (SEM): This respective migration type requires directory synchronization with on-premises AD
The features and characteristics of SEM are:
- Speedy migration solution
- High-fidelity solution proffered
- Suited to business enterprises where migratation is done in batches (1000/ batch)
- Source of Exchange 2003 or 2007 only
- Provisioned with Directory Sync before migration
- Limitless mailboxes
- On-premises migration tool is not required
The data migration scope is that, partial migration is not available; mailboxes which are enabled with Unified messaging cannot be transformed; and OST’s cannot be preserved.
The next genre of migration other than service migration is the Hybrid Migration means Hybrid deployment, which manages on-premises users; takes care of cross-premises smooth migration, calendaring, and easy off-boarding.
Interestingly, there are several attempts of migration option decision factors, which can be divided into five sections: Size, Source server, coexistence requirement, provisioning, and identity management.
Below highlighted is a brief table that determines above distinctive migration type and justifies your requirement.
Significantly, this table with provide a glimpse of your requirement and foster promising outcome.